Welcome to Christ's Hospital

500x500 500x500

Christ’s Hospital Museum represents and celebrates the remarkable 460 year history of one of the oldest boarding schools in England.

In 1552 the young King Edward VI responded to an impassioned sermon on the needs of London’s poor, following which he wrote to the Lord Mayor of London, to set in motion charitable measures to help.

Christ’s Hospital was consequently founded in the old buildings vacated by the Greyfriars in Newgate Street and provided food, clothing, lodging and “a little learning for fatherless children and other poor men’s children”. By November 1552, it opened its doors to 380 pupils and within a year, the number had increased to 500.

Christ’s Hospital moved from the City of London to Horsham in 1902 and is situated in 1,200 acres of Sussex countryside. The school now has over 820 boarding pupils with an equal number of boys and girls, and takes day pupils.

The Museum is responsible for some 50,000 artefacts and archives relating to Christ’s Hospital, some displayed around the school site, others held at the London Metropolitan Archives and Ironmonger’s Hall, London. With extensive permanent and changing display areas, research and family history facilities, Christ’s Hospital Museum offers a rich and diverse resource, welcoming the Christ’s Hospital school community, “Old Blues” and hundreds of visitors and enquirers each year.