Other Staff


Prior to the move to Horsham, the responsibility of the teaching staff was largely confined to the classroom, there being very little involvement with the pupils in the Wards (Boarding Houses) or in the Dining Hall, or in their leisure activities. For many years, the Grammar Masters (who taught classics) were required to be ordained, the staff list for the mid-1860s showing that about one-third of the London teachers were Reverends, and about one-half were Old Blues. The principal teaching post, below that of the Head, was Master of the Royal Mathematical School.  

 The care of the children in the Wards and Dining Hall was in the hands of the Matron and ‘Nurses’. The Steward, who was responsible for the ordering, use of and payment for provisions and related purchases, and the Beadles had responsibility for the discipline of the children outside the classroom. in London, the Seward's role was given to a new post of Warden in 1860.

The health of the children has always been a key issue for the School, the first officers of CH including two ‘Chirurgiones’ (surgeons). In London, Hertford and Horsham there was always a dedicated Medical Officer who lived on site or nearby. The Surgeon and Physician posts were mostly of a consulting nature, and there was also a Dentist.

The role of Bursar is comparatively new, the responsibilities for finance, estate and related matters being earlier covered by the Clerk, supported by a team of administrative staff in the Counting House. The Receiver looked after the daily financial transactions, and had a major record-keeping role. The Wardrobe-Keeper looked after the clothing, and there was a shoemaker who at one stage taught his or her trade to the children. Lastly, amongst other professional staff were the Solicitor, Surveyor and Architect.